Ease Of Use
Cost 1 Month $9.95Very cheap
Popularity 3.4 million active usersVery popular
Gender make-up Men/women equal
(1 to 1)No gender bias
Rating from 46 customers
Total 46 Ratings
Rss Feeds. Subscribe to comments for this site. [?] Receive updates about Okcupid.com directly through your newsreader.
OKCupid 2.5 45 A review of OKCupid. OkCupid is a highly popular dating site that offers the majority of its services for free. Those wishing to gain extras can upgrade their account to an A-List.
nancyfranksJanuary 23rd, 2012
Chris_4734January 9th, 2012
I don't choose women who are too hot for me, nor young party girls. I send many many messages to women who are age appropriate, who are intelligent and seem down to earth. My messages are short, funny and flirty and - most importantly - show that I read her profile and that we have some things in common. Yet, after hundreds of messages, I have never had a women reply to me.
Out of frustration, I created a fake profile on OkCupid and posted pictures of a male model and set his height to 6 foot 2. Without even sending a single message as this unrealistically hot guy, dozens of women were falling all over each other to get his attention. Even if his profile makes him sound like a self-centered jerk who cheats on his gf, women ignored those major personality flaws and even offered their phone numbers, unsolicited.
Bottom line is, OkCupid does not work for men shorter than 6 feet tall who aren't gorgeous. Tall and beautiful men have no problems getting women on the site, and I believe even homely women can find an interested male. But short and not-so-good-looking men don't have a chance, no matter what their personality is like.
AllanLoftJanuary 10th, 2012
One is that a false profile was posted, using photos of a male model, so we can assume that if it happened once, it has probably happened other times too.
Another issue raised is that of the male/female ratio, which there has been a lot of conjecture about. OkCupid has claimed 59% of members are male, but the membership tends to think otherwise. My guess would be two-thirds are male, but I've heard guesses up to a ratio of 5 to 1 (male dominated).
And finally, we read in this letter that some males have an awful lot of trouble meeting women through this site.
someguyJanuary 3rd, 2012
gen5starJune 20th, 2014
Granted, I just finished "registering" so I cannot honestly comment on its usefulness right now, but I have at least determined that "so far" it does seem to be catering to a "younger" "under-40" crowd... at least as far as the females are concerned, which is just fine with me as my age-limit is set at 36, but for those guys seeking someone a bit more mature they may have to do a lot of weeding out.
Cre47December 7th, 2011
CrsyatlJanuary 1st, 2011
Rob_2939November 16th, 2010
PirateAugust 30th, 2010
1) It's free, so okcupid doesn't have incentive to nickle and dime you, or even gasp, keep you from getting in a relationship to get you to pay for a membership longer.
2) they display how old profiles are, you can sort by last login, and profile newness
3) the match making system is pretty good if you are truthful about answering questions. This eliminates most spam profiles because they are below my rating filter.
4) they have a great blog telling you tips about online dating and overall statistics to design a better dating profile. Things like take pictures with a nice camera and don't make everything blurry.
5) they match people up who are relatively the same level of statistical attractiveness. If you have an attractive profile, you will be shown other more statistically attractive profiles. This means less clutter from people you would most likely find unattractive.
6) you can set up filters so creepy people outside your age range can't contact you
7) its simple to use
8) it has a great phone app for iphone or android
GregoryNovember 16th, 2009
Biggest problem with the site is the moderators. Your profile can be flagged by them for any reason, even if you don't break the rules. Also they only give "flag moderation" privileges to friends of the developers of the site, and abuse is commonplace among the moderators. Had several profiles deleted for no reason other than not being liked by certain people, then when I asked about why, I was insulted and harassed.
Best thing to do is avoid this site all together, not to mention their popup ads are full of viruses, and Trojans. My computer was infected twice already.
Richard_1732February 4th, 2010
XiurxeJune 28th, 2009
DavidBoarxJune 2nd, 2009
Then I spent what seemed like hours answering stupid... and I mean really stupid questions (I now call it OK stupid!) and really at the end of the day nothing has even come close to enticing me to message the so called matches.
All in all... OK Cupid is OK stupid!
Rob_2939November 16th, 2010